External Links are an important part of SeattleTechWiki. This is a marked contrast to many public wikis, notably Wikipedia. As a community resource, external links to companies, people, service providers, etc., play an important role. These guidelines are intended to ensure that external links are useful to users and remain valuable.
- Links need to be appropriate.
- A link is appropriate to the page if it is relevant to the contents of the page.
- A link is appropriate to the site if it is relevant to a page on the site.
- Links usually need explanation.
- A link to the topic of a page or section (e.g., a company described in a page) does not need to be explained.
- Almost all other links need explanation or introduction.
- Links in a list of similar links do not need individual explanations or introductions.
- Affiliate links are not allowed
- Link text (like this: SeattleTechWiki) is preferable to just numbers (like this: SeattleTechWiki ). Here is the way to create such a link:
- [http://www.seattletechwiki SeattleTechWiki]